Back to the Drawing Board...

Before you question this post know that we are taking control and we are doing what we feel will benefit Audrey the most.
I think after she was born, I accepted all of the neonatologists recommendations for her doctors because he's a doctor, right? He should know what's best... WRONG! I'm her mother, I know what's best.
After 4 months of never really knowing the importance of Audrey's Hydrocephalus, I finally figured out that I needed to fire her neurologist (but we are doing Office Space style... we feel it's best not to make a big ordeal about it and just move on). He never explained to me what it was, symptoms I needed to look for, what it meant for her future. Maybe that's my fault too, because I never asked and I didn't research it on the internet. I did google image Hydrocephalus when she was born and it scared me to see the photos of severe cases. I do blame the doctor though for not giving me a correct answer when I asked him if this is something I needed to worry about... he said no...
I finally had had enough at her last appointment with him when he was really vague about how Hydrocephalus was managed... he made it seem like there were several options but when I researched in on the internet... I found one - a shunt! After seeing Audrey's neurosurgeon and getting a better idea of what we were dealing with I asked her office for a recommendation. So, Audrey is seeing her new neurologist on Friday morning, Dr. Elterman and he offices at Medical City. I've already made a promise to myself that I will be more assertive with this doctor and will tell him my list of complaints with her previous doctor so he's aware of what I expect out of him.

I thought our clubfoot issues were handled but as I researched it more and more, I finally realized that Dr. Sackett may not be following the Ponseti Method he said he follows. The Ponsetti Method is a completely non-surgical approach to correcting clubfeet. It was started by Dr. Ignacio Ponseti in the 1950's and is becoming recognized as the best approach world-wide. The method does include a MINOR procedure, performed in the doctor's office of barely clipping the Achilles tendon. I do not feel that Audrey's partial heel release was anything MINOR... She went completely under anesthesia, was in recovery for 3 hours and took 3 days to fully recover at home.
I contacted a doctor in the Dallas area that claims to be the "clubfoot doctor". I also went on the Ponseti International Association website and Dr. Ignacio Ponseti personally recommends Dr. Steven Lund. Dr. Lund worked side by side with Dr. Ponseti in Iowa and goes to the University of Iowa Medical Center every couple of years for refresher courses. I emailed him last Thursday and he emailed me back that night. Email is below:
It was good to hear your story. I do not know of Dr Sackett and I have not seen any of his patients.
I am led to believe that both feet had surgery. It sounds like the right looks better than the left. As a general rule syndromic and feet seen with arthrogryphosis are very difficult to correct.
I would recommend that you avoid surgery. I would like to see her feet and give you some recommendations. If her left foot is slipping already I don’t see that this plan will work.
Feel free to call my cell phone this weekend if you wish.

I made an appointment the following day for next Friday. I have a couple of theories of how he will treat Audrey... He will probably put her back in casts for at least 2-3 castings. And, he will hopefully put her back in the braces she's in but he will do several adjustments to them. He will probably change the angle, she's currently at a 42 degree angle and normally Ponseti patients are set a 70 degree angle. This will mean that she will be very fussy for the first couple of days. He will increase the width of the bar and possibly change the shoe itself. But, if this is one less surgery she has to go through we are proceeding. You can say what you want, but I truly feel that I'm doing this in the best interest of my daughter! So, it may be back to sponge baths :) which I am going to miss giving her a bath. She's been showering with me lately and I think she really enjoys it. She gets this little grin on her face when the water sprinkles her face. I can really tell how much she trusts me when I shower with her because she stares straight into my eyes almost telling me she feels safe in my arms.

You may all be saying to yourself, what a know-it-all... So, I'm just going to take that as a compliment and thank you for recognizing that I'm doing the best thing for my daughter.

12 comments:

  1. I am SO proud of you!!! You are doing the best for Audrey and she is top priority. Again - I am SO proud of you! 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinions have never hurt anyone. You are not obligated to any dr....it is your job to FIND the doctor that fits best with you and Audrey Sue....she has a fabulous mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At-a-Girl!!! I'm so glad that you are taking charge of Audrey's needs and making sure she's seeing the best doctors possible. I'm so proud of you for firing the doctors that aren't doing their job effectively or efficiently! I don't want anyone touching little Audrey that will make matters worse and I know that Shawn is behind you 100%, as we all are. We all want Audrey to live a normal, happy, productive life and I know that you and Shawn are doing the best for little Audrey. God Bless You and Shawn for all you do together and individually. We love you all!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that sounds great Stef! Only you will know what's best and kudos to you for doing something about it!
    I agree with Stac, it is your job to find the doctor that fits best!

    Let's pray the second go round will be smoother and in the best interest of Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Follow your instincts, no one knows your daughter better than you! My daughter has some major medical issues that need to be watched so I know first hand how important it is to find good doctor that you are comforatble with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are my hero. Truly. You always know what's best for Audrey AND me. Thank you for being such a wonderful wife and the best mother in the entire world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, we took charge of our daughter's health care early on. It was the best thing for her and it has been good for us, too. While dealing with her clubfeet, we discovered the yahoo group nosurgery4clubfeet and have been very glad we joined. We, as a group of parents, promote the Ponseti method and can offer those who are dealing with difficulties or who just feel like they'd like to know someone else in the same situation so help and support. Please feel free to join if you haven't already. There are other parents there seeing Dr. Lund as well. Again, Congratulations on taking charge of Audrey's care. You go, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know how I feel...I'm behind you and Shawn 100%. Audrey is so blessed to have you and you are so blessed to have Audrey! Love you, princess!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is no way we would question anything you are doing for Audrey. We are all positive that you know what is best for her. I think Dr. Lund sounds very promising. Going to someone who has been taught by a man with over 50 years experience, I think Audrey's in the right hands. :) You're an amazing mother!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mother's know best and You know your baby! Keep up the high spirits and don't be afraid to take control. You are her voice for now and she needs you. By the way, Italy is over-rated. I bet Holland is more special than anyone can ever imagine. Stay strong Mommie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete