Keep it Down Now... Voices Carry

Today, Shawn took Audrey to have her hearing aids fitted. She woke for the day screaming and crying which made us very concerned with how well she was going to do when the audiologist attempted to put her hearing aids in. Shawn said she fought them, then she fought him when he was learning how to put them in and then she finally gave up and let the audiologist put them in. She was pooped by the time Shawn got home and he took them out to lay her down for a nap.

Audrey spent the day with Aunt Staci today because I was worried she was coming down with something... turns out she just needed some Aunt Staci time. Last night, Audrey screamed and cried uncontrollably. She would arch her back and push her bottom off the floor and then slam herself down on the ground. It scared Shawn and I, so we went through the events of that evening. She came home from daycare and seemed hungry... so I fed her some Broccoli, Carrots and Cheese (Stage 3!!! She's getting better at taking solids!) Ah HA! Eureka that was it... Broccoli + Cheese = bunches and bunches of gas... Poor baby had a tummy ache. She barely slept all night long and we were up for a good hour and a half with her. And... then she slept until 6:45 when she awoke screaming and crying uncontrollably. So, the theory still remains that it was what she ate and we're to believe it's too early to introduce Broccoli.

When I got home from work today, I had my first go at putting her hearing aids in. We opted to leave them out with Aunt Staci and to make sure Audrey was feeling well. Well, I was successful in my first attempt (but I had Shawn distracting Audrey). She kept them in from 5:45pm until 7pm. She would try to grab at them but a gentle push of her hand and a little "no-no" would stop her. Tomorrow will be interesting to see how she handles them at daycare and how her teachers handle them.

Check them out!
Once they were in... it was pretty cool to see her look all around and try to locate the source of what she was hearing...


I was afraid her left would be the one harder to fit, but it sits flush against her head.

You can see in this photo that her right is kind of loose and when I put my ear close to her ear I thought I could hear some feedback... maybe I'm doing something wrong.

9 comments:

  1. I had such a great time with her today! I made her laugh A LOT!!! We had a bottle when she woke up. Some playtime. Then for lunch we had squash - she spit it out several times as a game. She refused her juice though, so I tired her out by playing with her. Then she took a LONG nap - I was able to do some quizzes for school and take a nap! When she woke up, I changed her and she ate some turkey, rice and vegetables. She LOVED it...she kept "ah-ing" at me!

    It was absolutely wonderful. She is such a great baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pictures and update, Stefani! She will adjust just fine and be talking in no time at all! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgive me but, my academic curiosity is getting the best of me... (majored in Audiology in college)... What degree of hearing loss does she have?

    If you are hearing whistling, it could be 'feedbacking'...my non-professional advice is just to try putting it in again. Sometimes you will just get a tighter fit. You'll get the hang of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry Audrey had a bad reaction to broccoli. Hopefully she'll outgrow some of her food sensitivities in time.

    I agree with Tami that Audrey will adjust to her new hearing aids soon because she is the most amazing baby ever!

    Thanks for the pictures and update. Lot's of love to the 3 of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, those are precious pictures! I can't wait to see her talking up a storm. :) That's so great that she's holding on to the couch like that. Adorable!

    I have absolutely no experience, so I may not know what the heck I'm talking about, but if you're hearing feedback only when you get really close to the hearing aid, I'm pretty sure that they just make that sound. I'm sure hearing aids are better than they used to be, but I remember when this lady would put her hand close to her ear, that it would make that feedback sound. She thought we liked it. Again, I may be totally wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why does Audrey have to get older? Can't she stay a baby forever?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mama, Dada, and Audrey Sue will all adjust to the hearing aids. When she starts talking you won't be able to quite her down. The pictures are so cute. I wish mine were behind my ears, because they are easier to clean. Her's are so cute being pink. I told Staqci I'm jealous of her getting to spend time with her. Give her hugs and kisses from me. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe she and former Pres. George Bush have something in common- a strong aversion to broccoli! Uncle Chad would be sad if that were the case though; no broccoli eating contests! I know she'll adjust to the hearing aids just fine, just need a little time for adjustment and encouragement from mum and dad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stefani
    I miss her so much! The hearing aids are so her, I wiss I could see her respond to them. You are doing great, I am so happy you are getting on the CLASS list, I want to be her therapist again. I have subscibed to her blog, thanks for letting me continue to watch her grow. here is my email, let me know if you need anything
    Amy Teitelman
    aehendricks@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete