WANTED!

The Right Sippy Cup:

We're on a quest to find the perfect sippy cup for Audrey Sue.

So far, we have attempted to give her three different types of sippy cups.

We've tried the Nubi:
She likes to chew on the spout, which is fine (for now) but it's big and bulky and she can't seem to hold the wide bottle up for her to drink.

We've tried the Nuk:
And, this one we actually may want to try it out again but the nipple/spout part comes out of the bottle so easily which would result in huge messy spills.

Our last attempt was the Avent Sippy Cup (and we're still working on this one):
She may do okay with this and the handles will help her pick it up one handed and then pull up to her mouth.

However, since we have to thicken her liquids it seems like it takes a lot of effort for a small amount of liquid to come out. Hopefully once we complete her round of VitalStim Therapy, it will help her take liquids easier and she can get the hang of these sippy cups. But for now... we're going to keep putting them in front of her to play with, chew on, suck on as much as possible.

She's about 3 weeks from being completely on whole milk because we're adding 1 oz every week to her bottles. We started adding 1oz every 3 days but I don't think that was enough time to let her tummy adjust because she had the most horrible diarrhea and diaper rash. Now, that we've slowed down the increase - it's all adjusting just fine.

Who knew that Audrey would be good at adjusting to casts, then braces, then casts, then braces then back to casts and then back to braces; she'd be good at adjusting to hearing aids; she'd be good at adjusting to VitalStim (only after one session - fingers crossed it stays that way), But my crystal ball predicts it's going to be hard weaning her off the bottle...

If you have any suggestions/advice, I would love to hear it :)

7 comments:

  1. We started my daughter off on the Munchkin and Nuby (the short one with handles). They both had the soft nipples which she seemed to adjust too fine. Now we are on the Munchkin and Playtex cups with hard tops. She'll get the hang of it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay today when I was watching her I used the Advent one first - without the little clear plastic thing and then with it. It helped her when I squeezed the bottom part of the mouth portion of the sippy cup - I don't know how to explain it. She drank about half an ounce with the Nuby or whatever it is called. She loved it when I was clapping everytime she looked like she was swallowing something.
    I'll do a little research for sippy cups and soft palates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each baby reacts differently, but once you think the VitalStem Therapy is complete and she's off the SimplyThick, you could try cold turkey for a couple of days. Or, you can just take your time...what's the rush? You have to wash a bottle or you have to wash a sippy cup...either way, you're washing dishes. The fact that Audrey is happy and getting the nutrients she needs is all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, the battle of the sippy cups. We tried every sippy cup in the store and Tyler never got the hang of it. He never wanted to put his mouth around it. His speech therapist suggested the honeybear and that didn't work either. So we decided to practice with a regular cup and he liked that. Finally at the age of 3, he is off the bottle. I agree with Tami, as long as she is getting the liquids she needs, who cares what type of cup/bottle. All though a sippy cup would probably be easier :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your Mom, let her take her time. All of sudden she will be off the bottle and you will wonder when it happened. Time goes so very fast. Just look at my grandaughters. Love to all

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are talking to her school about moving her up to Toddler A in a couple of months (if she's mobile) and she can't go into the class with a bottle...
    But, the good thing is she's picking up the Avent sippy cup more and taking small sips :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As usual, I'm the last to know that Audrey has been trying sippy cups. Just found this entry, so I'm late on putting in my two cents, but here goes.
    Please don't worry about Audrey, she'll get it and it does take time to ween babies from their bottles, but I know in my heart that she'll do it when the time is right for her. As your mother said, there is no rush.

    ReplyDelete