I Knew This Day Would Come

When we first found out we were pregnant we were filled with a lot of emotions. We were married only 6 months prior and had purchased our first home. We were planning to start our family after the first few years of marriage, but things never go as planned and life has a way of figuring things out for you. So, on that Saturday in September when I took my first pregnancy test it was positive, I did my thing with it and left it on the counter facing down. I had Shawn go into the bathroom to check it out, he went in and had no idea what it meant... it meant we were having a baby. So, we each called our siblings to tell them the news but to keep it a secret from our parents until we knew for sure. Shawn was insistent that we needed confirmation from my doctor first - a week later he got his confirmation and we told the news to our parents... who were very excited and we were very scared. I think our parents found our deer-in-the-headlights-look because it probably took them back to when they were first having their children.

Fast forward several of months - we found our crib, it was perfect and it was a gift from Shawn's parents. It's convertible and will grow with her as she grows. It's a sleigh-bed type crib, it's cherry and it's beautifully matched with Pottery Barn Kids bedding, pink and white striped quilt with a white bedskirt detailed with pink dots along the hem. As Shawn and I put the crib together in my 7th month of pregnancy, it was a stressful time because I was trying to read the directions as Shawn did all the work. If he wasn't listening to me, I'd yell, if I messed up and went in the wrong order, he'd yell at me. Isn't this standard when a husband and wife try to assemble something together?

As we finished and placed it in the right spot, we stood back arms wrapped around each other and admired our hard work. And, then Shawn expressed one of the sweetest thoughts to me. He said he couldn't wait for the day to walk into that room and Audrey is standing up in her crib with a big smile on her face and arms raised up waiting to be picked up. Well - that day finally came for him. Last Sunday, after nap, he went in and she was up on her feet waiting for him. He said his heart had melted.

This morning while Audrey napped, I was making banana nut muffins and I thought to myself "I can't wait until Audrey is old enough and we can do this together". I know that day will come! I don't know when but one day the two of us will share the most sacred mother-daughter moment. The moment when I help her stir her first batch of chocolate chip cookies. Don't worry Audrey, Mommy will make sure she has perfected all of her baking skills (or skillz) so that she can pass this love on to you.

4 comments:

  1. That was surely one of the better moments of my
    life. I will always remember that morning. I love you and Audrey more than anything on this earth!!
    Thank you Stefani for this blog. It's a wonderful reminder of the great journey we have lived; and will continue to live together as a family. With all the love and respect in the world.
    Shawn (your man and Audrey's DaDa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this! I can't wait to have a sweet baby like Audrey Sue one day. : ) We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was so sweet. The love you and Shawn have for each other and Audrey is awesome.
    Thank you for sharing your future memories, as it brought back a few of my own, for which I'm grateful to you both for that.
    Love and kisses for all 3 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted from my stupid phone the other day and obviously it didn't stick! Lame Blackjack phone...

    I can't wait for her to make cookies too...I'm sure Shawn can't wait either. This was a cute entry and I read it at work and got a little teary eyed.

    ReplyDelete