It's been almost two weeks since I put Audrey in her hearing aids. A week and half ago, Audrey's left ear started draining and we don't put them in while their draining. Audrey has medicated ear drops that we have to use when the drainage starts. Audrey's left ear only drained for 3 days but then the day after I had her back in her hearing aids, her right ear started to drain. And, it's been draining for over a week and today she started running a fever.
Audrey has a history of chronic ear infections and she had tubes placed January 2009. I'm happy that the fluid is draining and not sitting behind her ears (this is what caused her hearing loss, apparently), but the more she's out of her hearing aids could affect her speech development.
The cause for her chronic ear infections was a direct result of her laryngeal penetration. She had 6 weeks of vital stem therapy which caused her laryngeal penetration to decrease from 85% to less than 20%. She was on a thickening agent for all her fluids for over 3 months and we weened her off in November. Since her vital stem, we feel like her laryngeal muscles have gotten stronger and she's able to eat every day foods.
Could the less than 20% of laryngeal penetration be causing all the drainage? I have set up an appointment with a new ENT. And, unfortunately it's not until April, but I will be discussing her history and hopefully he can help us figure out what can help these ear infections.
But, I suppose the cause of her fever and cold could be that Texas weather is bi-polar and can't make up it's mind if it should be 70 degrees and sunny one day or 33 degrees and snowy... It snowed last night, but it was 70 degrees on Friday.
I hope she gets to feeling better soon. I also hope the new ENT will be helpful in remedying her constant ear infections. Baby girl doesn't need to be sick. I'll pray that the new ENT will have some answers to your questions. I also hope she won't have to go through VitalStim again - the OT had so much drama in her life and was an "over-sharer"...
ReplyDeleteI sure hope Audrey is feeling better soon and that she's able to spend the weekend with her Pawpaw and me. We're looking forward to it, so give her a big kiss from us and let us know how the doctor appointment goes. Audrey is always in our prayers.
ReplyDelete